I always remember what year a song came out. I have a terrible, atrocious memory, so music is essential for me to actually remember what was going on in my life and when. As the feeling the song brings to surface resonates, I can vividly remember all the circumstances of whatever phase of life I was in.
I remember “In da club” by 50 cent came out in 2003 because my oh-so-gangsta, and always in da club group of 7th grade friends and I, gathered in the hallway on birthdays and serenaded each other with the 13 year old white girl version, every time.The illest.
My boo, by Usher and Alicia keys, came out in 2004, specifically remembered because lyke every word of that song perfectly described the beautiful and complex relationship I had with my first non-elementary boyfriend.
I know Crunk Juice, Lil Jon’s most compelling album, came out in 2004 (maybe I peaked in 2004) because my 3rd boyfriend (& “~fIrSt lOvE~”) and I listened to nothing but Lil Jon every time we got in his truck….yes, it was one of the more romantic periods of my life. Sadly, I’m not kidding.
I know that “No Air” by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown came out in 2007, just in time to help me get through my first heart break.
Obviously my taste in music during my adolescence was limited to rap, r&b, and fall out boy. Thankfully, I’ve grown both in music taste and variety of life experiences.
Whether it was longing for Georgia, missing my friends, trying to be more Californian, a wave of OG washed over me, or just songs that spoke to my soul, here are my 2015 anthems. Had dees beat on repeat:
- The Longer I Run, Peter Bradley Adams
- You Make Me Brave, Bethel Music & Jenn Johnson
- Hello, Adele
- Fight Song, Rachel Platten
- Bad Blood, Taylor Swift
- We Dance, Steffany Frizzell Gretzinger
- Live While We’re Young, Johnnyswim
- Cold Beer With Your Name On It, Josh Thompson
- Straight Outta Compton, N.W.A
- Wide Open Spaces, Dixie Chicks
- ATLiens, OutKast
- You Know Me, Steffany Frizzell Gretzinger
- Nasty Freestlye, T-Wayne
- Falling For Me, Johnnyswim
- Get up, Cole Swindell
- Silly Things, Wild Child
- Make You Miss Me, Sam Hunt
- Closer Than You Know, Hillsong United
- Rivers and Roads, The Head and The Heart
- Out of Hiding, Steffany Frizzell Gretzinger
- Birmingham, Shovels and Rope
- See You Again, Wiz Khalifa
- FourFive Seconds, Rihanna & Kanye West
- Nothing Holding Me Back, Bryan and Katie Torwalt
- The Day You Stop Looking Back, Thomas Rhett
- Burning House, Cam
- Dime Store Cowgirl, Kacey Musgraves
- Don’t Let It Get You Down, Johnnyswim
- Closer, Johnnyswim
- One Thirst, Jeremy Riddle & Steffany Frizzell Gretzinger
- My Church, Maren Morris
- I Got The Boy, Jana Kramer
- Flawless Remix, Nicki Minaj & Beyonce
- Welcome To Atlanta – Coast 2 Coast, Jermaine Dupri, Snoop Dogg
- Down In The Valley, The Head and the Heart